This project is read-only.

Missing the Obvious: Viewing Sink Data

Topics: General, Using
Nov 21, 2014 at 12:26 AM
Hello Community,

I just read this incredible document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn440729(v=pandp.60).aspx

First off, much respect for the documentation! It does have a few oddities, but I really do appreciate the depth and quality of the work.

Now, after finishing this document, I can't seem to find the answer (or mention) of a very obvious question. Once the data has been stored by a given sink, how does one view it? With ETW, we have PerfMonitor, PerfView, and even Service Trace Viewer to open up ETL files and even get live streams (from what I understand).

What's the best way of doing this with Sink data?

Thank you for any clarification,
Michael
Nov 21, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Edited Nov 21, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Now, after finishing this document, I can't seem to find the answer (or mention) of a very obvious question. Once the data has been stored by a given sink, how does one view it?

It depends on the sink (destination). You would use a tool appropriate for the sink. Typically, the sink will receive the events and route them to a specific destination. So the SqlDatabaseSink will send the events to a database, the AzureTableSink will send events to Azure table storage. In those cases, you would a tool for querying a database (e.g. SSMS among others) or a tool for querying Azure table storage (e.g. Azure Storage Explorer among others).

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Marked as answer by MichaelDBang on 11/21/2014 at 1:38 AM
Nov 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Edited Nov 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM
OK... that's great. And I am assuming that the best available for Flat/Rolling file sinks is Notepad? :P It just seems like there would be a better way to tie this all in with the existing ETL viewers that already exist out there...
Feb 12, 2015 at 12:38 PM
I kind of have the same question. This might nog be the best place to ask but take the Azure Table Storage for example, are there any tools out there that you knwo of that can help you create reports over data?

I am sure that logging to SQL Server is the easiest way, but I like the better pricing and performance of the Azure Table Storage.